Publication Research

I am choosing to write an article for the Illinois State University political science journal “Critique”. This is because my topic primarily focuses on how the government relates to the challenges women are facing within Iran, how the government causes these issues and how they can possibly play a key role in solving the problem of gender inequality within Iran. This is of course related to policy and the current laws within the country which create this divide in the first place. This journal seemed like the perfect fit for my article because although I mention gender complications the main point of my topic is the relation to the government therefore consisting of a hefty amount of political science content within my article. I also thought that this journal also had an extra boost of relevance to my article because it seeks out papers which discuss forwarding democracy and policy. This is exactly one of the key themes lying within modern Iranian society.

In order to fit into the subject matter of “Critique” I must ensure that I’m putting a strong emphasis on the government’s involvement than the social aspect of the gender issue. This is simply because I must appeal to a political science audience yet I also need to be able to provide a brief amount of context based on the gender divide within Iran. I can introduce the subject in the article through a brief summary of the conflict and what it’s comprised of to appeal to audiences who are unaware of the context. After this I will explain how the Iranian government’s policies have affected this conflict with the discussion of the cultural laws enforced preventing women from having equal amounts of opportunity. I will be able to provide some of the sources that I have used in my conference paper to give a direct understanding of specific policies or laws incentivizing gender discriminatory behavior. From here I will be able to discuss the negative impacts this has on political stability despite being reinforced by the government itself. This will provide some background into the political structure of the Iranian government and it’s priorities when governing the country. After this I can also connect the idea of government function with some of the religious beliefs and overall traditions which lead to strong cultural laws and restrictions being placed on women. This will mention tradition but mainly focus on the political effects and mechanics. By this part of the article the audience should understand the context of Iranian society a lot better than before reading the article. I can start to lead to a possible political solution to this problem. I can mention taking steps to disassociating government with religion over time. One of the first solutions I would mention is the suppression of the cultural police power because this further incentivizes division between modernist and traditionalist views. With modernism being frowned upon by certain people in Iranian society it would be important to mention which laws specifically cause this polarization and explain why these laws must be altered or repealed in order to modernize.
Journal: https://about.illinoisstate.edu/critique/Pages/default.aspx